Read more about Alvin Hall
Alvin D. Hall is a financial adviser, author and presenter of the BBC television programme 'Your Money or Your Life'. Alvin started buying shares a little at a time and his ability to translate complex financial concepts into simple English led to him becoming Director of Course Development at Leo Fleur, a company selling training materials for Wall Street examinations. He was Director of Marketing for the Chicago-based Longman Financial Services Institute in creating and implementing marketing campaigns for training programmes and products. Alvin is the President of Cooperhall Press and designs and runs seminars for financial institutions around the world.
- President, Cooperhall Press Inc. (formerly Alvin D. Hall Associates, Inc.), New York, N.Y. (1990 to present)
Designs, develops and conducts customised seminars and classes about the investment markets for financial services firms and their vendors as well as for regulatory authorities located in the US and abroad. Writes training manuals for brokerage firms and banks and publishes books and articles for industry professionals and the general public about the securities and futures markets.
- Executive Director, New York Institute of Finance, New York, N.Y. (1987-90)
- Director of Marketing, Longman Financial Services Institute, Chicago (1986-87)
- Director of Course Development, Leo Fleur Inc., New York, N.Y (1982-86)
- Promotions & Publications Manager, North Carolina Public Television (UNC-TV), Chapel Hill, NC (1980-82)
- 'Your Money or Your Life' (BBC 2 1999 to 2003)
Prime time television series that examines various financial and budget problems and offers a menu of potential solutions. Fifth series was broadcast in 2003.
- 'This Morning' (ITV 2001)
Regular sessions on how to manage our finances from mortgages to pensions and including ‘Save Me Alvin’ series (April/May 2001)
- 'Investing for All with Alvin Hall' (BBC 2 –July 1998)
Four part television series which took members of four investment clubs to conduct hands-on investigation and analysis of three companies within different business sectors.
- 'Alvin Hall’s Guide to Successful Investing' (BBC 2 – Jan 1997)
On-air presenter and writer for this three part television series that introduces basic investment concepts and strategies.
- 'World’s Most Powerful' (BBC 2 – Nov 2003).
A primetime 3 part series looking at celebrity, sport & computers.
- Regular radio appearances on Radio 2 and Radio 5 Live. Also wrote and presented an hour long documentary ‘Wall Street – One Year On’ assessing the effects of September 11th for Radio 4.
- Other tv credits include: Dave Gorman’s 'Important Astrology Experiment' (BBC 2), 'Top Gear' (BBC 2), 'Tonight' with Trevor MacDonald (ITV), 'Film 2003', 'GMTV' and BBC 4/BBC2 documentary on Peggy Guggenheim ‘The Other Guggenheim’.
- Alvin Hall’s Secret Collections broadcast on Radio 4 in June 2005.
- After Katrina broadcast on BBC Radio 4 in November 2005
- Alvin Hall’s Artworld broadcast on BBC Radio 4 in July 2006
- Guest contributor on BBC2's The Summer Exhibition June 2006
- 'Money For Life: Everyone’s Guide to Financial Freedom'
Pub: Hodder & Stoughton Ltd – Jan 2000
- 'Winning With Shares: Investing wisely and profitably in the Stock Market
Pub' Hodder & Stoughton Ltd – published Nov 2001
- 'Your Money or Your Life' (BBC) – A practical guide to solving your financial Problems and affording a life you’ll love
Pub: Hodder & Stoughton – June 2002. Winner of the 2003 WHS Business Book Award.
- 'What Not To Spend' – Priceless Ways to manage your money
Pub: Hodder & Stoughton Ltd – October 2004. U.S. version to be published end of 2005/early 2006.
- 'You & Your Money' – Creating a Prosperous Relationship
Pub: Hodder & Stoughton Ltd – January 2006.
- 'Get Out of Debt with Alvin Hall', 'Climb The Property Ladder with Alvin Hall' & 'Save and Invest with Alvin Hall' - all published by Hodder & Stoughton May 2006
(In the U.S.)
- 'Getting Started in Stocks' 3rd Edition: John Wiley & Sons (original edition 1992)
- 'Getting Started in Mutual Funds', John Wiley & Sons Inc (January 2000)
- 'Investment Strategies Made Easy', Black Enterprise (March 1994)
- Alvin has written and produced numerous other publications during the last ten years covering everything from the high finance of Wall Street to understanding and managing personal portfolios. He has also been the subject of biographical material including ‘Collector’s Choice: Alvin D. Hall’ by Mary Barone, ArtNet.com and ‘Share the Secrets with ShareLink’.
Corporate/Public Speaking includes:-
- Barclays Bank training video
- Fidelity Investments
- Merrill Lynch
- Money Online magazine live conference on Compuserve (answering questions about the basics of investing in equities and stock mutual funds)
- London Stock Exchange
- Charles Schwab
- Manchester Evening News Business Awards (host for last 3 years)
- Office of Fair Trading (media campaign on ‘how to be a smarter shopper’
- Guardian & Observer Consumer Finance Awards 2003
- Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Maine. BA English Literature (1974)
- University of North Carolina: MA American Literature (1979)
- Whitney Museum of American Art, Photography Acquisition Committee
- International Centre for Photography, Exhibitions Committee